Brexit – Preparing to travel again


The following items should be checked (where applicable) before travelling to the European Union countries


You will now need at least six months validity left on your passport when travelling to an EU country or further afield. Be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

Health Card

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)  which gave free, or reduced rate, healthcare when visiting the EU has been replaced with the UK Global Healthcare Insurance Card (GHIC).

This is free of charge, visit to obtain yours. You can continue to use your old EHIC until it expires. Neither of these cards covers Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. Do not forget to take out additional travel insurance as these cards do not cover all costs should you become sick or injured when in an EU country. 

Your Mobile Phone

Your legal right to free calls and data within the EU ended when we left the union.  EE, O2, Three and Vodaphone have all said they have no plans to re-introduce roaming charges – but this could change. Play safe and check before you leave the UK. The government have introduced a £45 a month limit on the charges for extra data when abroad – again check with your mobile provider.


If you will be in the EU for more than 90 days out of any 180 day period then you will need a visa.

Covid paper-work

It is looking likely that you will need proof of being vaccinated against Covid when travelling in the future.  We await details from the government.

Taking your car abroad

You will need a Green Card if you intend to drive your own car in EU countries. You will also need a GB sticker on your car

More Information

For more details visit Visiting the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein – GOV.UK (

Back To Top